Pages

Saturday 6 August 2011

Summer holidays

Finally the summer holidays are here and some lovely weather. Sorry not to post for a while but I have been catching up with all the things I put off until the end of term and that was quite a bit I can tell you! Our last pottery painting event until September was at The Plantation Pub in Bearsted and we had a lovely day, the weather was great and our customers had a very relaxing afternoon painting pottery in the pub garden. The Plantation are also running a kids club on Wednesday afternoons throughout the summer holidays where the kids can play board games and have fun for free. There is also a book sale this Wednesday 10th August and a Beach Party on Bank Holiday Monday 29th August.

When we came back after the event at the Plantation I took our puppy Daisy out for a walk. It was quite late and as I was walking along I noticed quite a large hedgehog in the grass. It was a fascinating creature and the first time I have ever seen one in the wild. They are so beautiful and we managed to get quite close (I didn't have my camera so this is a picture taken from the internet!)


This inspired my daughter and her friend to have a go at making some clay hedgehogs and here is my favourite one.


So cute! This will need to dry for a week and then be bisque fired in the kiln. After that we can paint it and glaze it and refire again to have the finished piece.

Carrying on with the hedgehog theme I noticed that Shorne Woods Country Park are holding a Prickles in the Park day where you can meet some real life hedgehogs, learn about what they eat and where they live, and make your own hedgehog to take home. Details are as follows:

Prickles in the Park

Shorne Woods Country Park, Brewers Rd, Shorne, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 3HX
Date: Tue 16th Aug 11
Website: www.kent.gov.uk/kentcountryparks
This event is suitable for children under 12 years old.
Children must be accompanied by an adult (one adult per child)
Bring along suitable outdoor clothing and footwear.
Booking required on 08458 247 600.

Time Two sessions: 10am-12pm and 1-3pm
Price £5 per child

Sadly, we are going to miss it as we are off to France tomorrow. I would have loved to have gone and met another real life hedgehog. Maybe next year. If anyone does go please comment and let me know if you had a good time!



No comments:

Post a Comment