Pages

Thursday 8 September 2011

Autumn is on its way

Summer feels like it is definitely over as the weather takes on a distinctly autumnal feel. I won't get much use out of these little ice cream bowls that I found in my local hardware shop, only a £1 each. Sadly, I will have to put them away for next year.


Saying that, I do love Autumn; the way the light changes and the trees seem to burn with glorious colour as nature prepares itself for winter. It is a real joy to walk the dogs and come home to a warming hot drink and a slice of homemade cake. I am going to give this pumpkin bread recipe a go. I have no idea where I can get a can of pumpkin puree from (any ideas?) but if I can't get it I can always cut a pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds etc and bake if face down on a foil-lined baking sheet at 350deg for about 45 mins to an hour and when cool scoop out the flesh. Alternatively roast or boil cut pieces of pumpkin flesh, discarding the skin afterwards. A tin would be so much easier!

Pumpkins are my favourite vegetables for a number of reasons; their colour, their shape, carving them for Halloween and they are very versatile for cooking with. Earlier in the year we cleared a patch in the garden to grow some vegetables (for the first time).


I planted carrots, beetroots, lettuces, spring onions tomatoes and a pumpkin plant which grew extremely large but I have only had one pumpkin from it so far, of which I am very proud.


I know it looks more like a marrow but I promise you it is a pumpkin! I have put it in the lean-to to ripen off so I am hoping it will turn orange at some point. Better luck next year!! I think I may be better at making the clay variety.......






No comments:

Post a Comment